Friday, October 30, 2009

Could Cupid hit the broadside of a barn?

I know the economy is in the bag... but who laid Cupid off? Seriously. Welcome to my online, blind date adventures. This isn't SITC or Bridget Jones. I love those girls but we don't have much in common. I might identify most with Amelie... loney but content living in a fantasy world not caring to do anything about it until he finally knocks on my door. Everyone else needs me way more than I need myself to be happy.

I am happy with my job and friends so why mess that up with a man? Hmmm. Yeah, I've been thinking about that one for a while. Oh yeah, because it feels really nice to be with someone. This I am reminded when I do hang out with all of my friends who are dating and married. They seem happy... wow, I could use some of THAT kind of happy! So, I joined a couple of online dating sites. again. Yeah, we are on round two.

Sorry I didn't start this earlier... which means I have to do a little history first.

Arrive Denver July 1, 2008. Lonely. Working a lot. Get dog. Lose dog. Date neighbor. Uh oh.... lose neighbor... still friends though. Date friend of a friend. Lose friend of a friend. Re-evaluate dating practices, talk at length with girlfriends, guy friends, mom, grandma, consult web, watch romatic comedies. Hm. Sign up for online dating. Realize that the group of guys I am 'assigned to' want a best guy friend. Their profiles read like this: "Looking for a girl who loves mountain biking, working out, running, rafting, camping, climbing, triathalon, cycling, hiking, skiing, loves my dog, loves me."

Well, I am a very outdoorsy girl, love all seasons and I am in good shape. But um... I don't want to date an uber competitive guy who is so frenetic he can't sit down for a hour and cuddle up with me and watch the day go by a little bit. I dated two of these guys before I figured that out. They are hot guys that you can sit across the table and just love to look at, but their girlfriend will always be mother nature. She is apparently easier than a real girl. These guys don't stay long anyway.

So, you try going the other direction... someone who has listed their qualities as: "I love reading, cooking, going to movies, a nice wine bar, walks in the woods...". You get the idea. This guy loves his mother and all of his nieces and nephews. He has a good job at a bank, engineering firm or marketing. But he also has a habit of downing around 8-12 beers in the course of a football game and not remembering anything you talked about at your last date. So you end up having the same conversation three dates in a row. Yes, exactly, no fourth date. Three is the charm.

I am seriously trying to have the strength to go on... then we have Cheap Date, yeah he asked me what I was going to tip since I ate most of the appetizer. Horrible Driver, he backed into two cars whilst parallel parking in front of the restaurant. Tai Chi... My friend Em says that guys who read buddist books and need a lot of meditation have secret anger issues. This is so unbelieveably SPOT on. This guy just unleashed an email on me that I might just have to share. I read it like twice a day to see if it is for real.

So... I promised myself I would date. And keep dating regardless of the outcomes. That even if I didn't find 'him'. I would find something out about myself that I can't find holed up in my apartment alone. I don't want to forget to tell you that all the rest of the past will come out as this blog grows. I just don't want to overwhelm you all at once! I am sure this was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment