Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I Heart Breakfast

I can eat breakfast 3 times a day. Maybe more! When we lived in Denver we would walk to a couple different breakfast joints. Jelly, Snooze, the place that starts with an M over by REI (LOL)... and Spices. Oh do I miss them dearly! At Jelly, my absolute favorite, it was a constant foodie adventure... what to try next when all you wanted was the same thing you had the last trip. Oh yum. So, I try to recreate some of those delicious experiences at home now. But, honestly... it just isn't the same. I would love to shadow the guy who makes up all the hashes there. They are incredible... craving one now...



I've been looking for some healthy quick breakfast ideas on Pinterest, Vegetarian Times and even Bon Appetit. So far I really love the egg cup idea. You mix up your scrambled egg love and then pop it into a muffin tin, bake and BAM... breakfast. No spatula or scrambling involved. I like it. In the search for healthy comes the inevitable delicious unhealthy... like cinnamon roll pancakes, stuffed french toast, and anything with bacon that I can't seem to steer away from. John won't eat bacon and doesn't like the turkey kind either... I could eat thick applewood smoked peppered bacon by the pound. Put it in the oven and make your house smell so good. And for Christmas, I dip it in dark chocolate and send it to my brothers.


I made the egg cups this morning for the first time and it was all the ease and dreaminess I had hoped for. I even had time to make biscuits. Sweet. I hate to be too specific on measurements here. I think you should add to your taste so I'm going to ballpark it just to give you an idea. I am definitely one of those 'wing it' cooks. For better or worse. Here is my recipe:



Scrambled Eggs in a Muffin Tin
(Makes 8) - Want more? Pretty much comes out to be one egg per cup!

8 eggs
1/4 cup fat free milk
salt & pepper
1/3 cup chopped turkey pepperoni
1/8 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms

Other Adds: spinach, tomato, onion, pepper, olive, broccoli, bacon, sausage, potatoes, your leftovers, etc... get creative!

Bake at 350 for 20minutes.
The bummer is they come out all pretty and puffy... then they deflate. But the taste is still yum! After they cool put them in freezer bags 2 egg cups by 2 biscuits and breakfast is ready! Microwave ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment