Thursday, November 8, 2012

Reading Anything, Worth Reading Again?

My test of a good book is that I can't wait to pass it on to a friend. My test of a great book is that I not only circulate it, but that I want to keep going back to it. Learn more from it. Read it again when I have grown in some way that it might tell me something new. I certainly judge a book by its cover as well as its insides... Don't judge me yet! It is truly because I love typography and clever graphics. It's not my favorite way to choose a book but sometimes when I just want a good read and haven't had any suggestions from friends or read a good review, I do rely on a good cover to entice me.

When choosing a book I also see if any of my favorite authors have new novels... But when all is lost, I go back through my library and pick up an old friend from my stacks. I have several... So many in fact that it has been a while since I've ventured out to find something new. I hope you will all give me some wonderful suggestions in the comments!

I've also ventured into the electronic book realm... It has taken me a while to do this. I'm still hesitant. But, there are some books I don't mind reading on the iPad. Mostly reference books and some magazines. I've started collecting my architecture/ urban design books and mags electronically as well. I guess because I like to reference them often and the iPad is very easy to bookmark, highlight and 'go-to' while I am working. My paper library is a bit disorganized in this house because of spatial limitations. When we move home to Michigan I will be able to expand and organize better! I'm really looking forward to my office!

This is my reading list with current open books. I also included my recent 'old' standby list. I hope you will find something new and inspiring to read or like me, go back and visit an old friend. And don't forget to leave me your reading list!

On My Nightstand 
(currently are two of my favorite authors...)
Steve Jobs Biography - Walter Issacson 
Loving it. What a beast. I figured I've owned (or own) every product he inspired. Might as well see the man behind the curtain. And written by Walter I... it sold me the rest of the way.
The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling
Yes, she sold this book because she is JK. Duh. That's why I have it. However, I am still getting into the book... so far I am seeing it is an adult book because of the cussing... which I am never truly impressed by when it is just for the sake of shock value. meh. But the characters are growing on me.

On My iPad
The Good City - Allan B. Jacobs
Strengths Finder 2.0 - Tom Rath
Strengths Based Leadership - Tom Rath

And this link that I received today in my email!! Not sure of many of the titles... So I will be checking them out soon. http://shemakescents.com/2012/11/04/books-nooks-free-ebook-downloads-from-barnes-noble/

My Current Rotating Book List (since 1990 to present)
(I should like to have all of these on kindle and on audio just because!)

All 7 Harry Potter books - JK Rowling. 
I read or listen to them every year. I can't help myself! And neither should you. Stop listening to the hype and read them. Love them. Be inspired by them.
Life of Pi - Yann Martel. 
It is a movie now... I'm on the fence whether to see it or not.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon. 
Incredible. Written from the perspective of a boy with autism. Pay attention to the chapter numbers. Not to mention great typography and clever graphics!
Einstein's Dreams - Alan Lightman. 
This book is like a journal, poetry and magic. It supposes Einstein dreaming of dimensions and time travel. It is so beautiful. I love giving it as a gift as well.
Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino. 
So dreamy and beautiful. Like Einstein's Dreams it reads like poetry.
Einstein's Life - Walter Issacson. 
Inspiring, thoughtful and provoking. Walter is an incredible biographer. I was so happy when I found out he wrote Steve Job's bio.
On the Night You Were Born - Nancy Tillman. 
Yes, I read this to my son. Every night practically. I love it SO much. If I ever get the chance to publish a children's picture book. I hope to God it is this cool. 

I am still promising to figure out this bloggin' platform... I learn a few little things each time I use it. Hopefully formatting will be next! I tell you how much graphics and typography mean to me then I give you this blog. shame shame!!




 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment