Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Budget Marathon

I’ve called this a marathon because I know it takes training to run one. You can’t just jump in the crowd and run a marathon. Not without serious injury anyway. And I have never successfully followed a budget. Not without serious injury anyway. I usually end up overspending because I feel denied or restricted. Just like a dieter may feel if denied sweets too long and then go binging like crazy on ice cream. So, John and I are in training right now. While I still have paychecks coming in from teaching school last year, we are pretending that money doesn’t exist. We are doing this because, John and I have decided that I will stay home with Xan after he is born for at least one year (longer if I can). This means living on a salary of less than $28,000 for the three of us.


So, here we are starting from scratch with a baby on the way. Brave aren’t we! Nah. People do it all the time... right? I’m a research nerd at heart. (thank you God) I’ve been reading all sorts of other blogs including one very close to home blog that is written by the Peaceful Mom who is raising 4 teenagers on her husbands less than 28K salary as well. www.peacefulmom.com. She has a great blog and I would encourage you to look at her budget advice. Unfortunately, her method isn’t quite what I can follow, because she gets weekly checks and can organize things differently. She has got me thinking a lot and I’ve begun crafting my own ideas. Which is what blogging is all about! Sharing ideas and modifying them to fit your life.

First, she has a much different menu plan and more grocery shopping options than I do.  She has a wonderful menu planner that you can download from her blog site. I’ve used it to plan my week. My bottom line is, that I have to feed my family uber healthy. I simply can’t do high fructose corn syrup, a ton of preservatives, hot dogs, white bread, high sodium or tolerate junk food. Which is also why coupons are so hard to use! IF you can find any healthy coupons it is a freaking miracle. I digress... If the meat that I have to choose from isn’t organic and 100% hormone free, we will eat vegetarian. We will eat organic first, when ever possible. I see it as, do I spend the money now... or as a copay later. I absolutely believe you are what you eat. You get this one body, treat it well. Presently, I have a serious gall bladder issue at the moment, and I’ve developed stones. It’s hereditary and decided to come in full force during my pregnancy. Oh so painfully. I am trying to make it through my pregnancy to full term before I have surgery with diet and minimal medication. I will know more tomorrow... But for now, I am on a low carbohydrate, no wheat, no dairy, low fat, very high protein diet. Yes, that leaves four foods to choose from and I’ve lost weight. Not ideal.

As a sample of what we're training with, I've given you our menu and budget for two weeks. It only allows $200 per month for groceries. And in this two weeks, I have spent $100. We are only 2, plus a little bit, so until necessity increases that budget... I vow we will do our best. I will share our recipes and grocery lists as well. Even scan my grocery bills to keep myself true. But as you know, I have but few choices for shopping. I have to do what I can, with what I have. Most of the time that means I am searching for a recipe that allows me to decide what is in our meals. I will make homemade peanut butter if I think it will save us money and be healthier. Yes, I love cooking from scratch and do it every morning since it is too hot to cook in the afternoon and evening. The top line is my awesome diet and the bottom is John's. I love the prep line! Anything with a (p) means it is in my pantry or I have all the ingredients in the pantry. I also make these items in bulk so that I can freeze them.






But you ask, how will we save money as a holistic household practice? Here are our ideas so for starting with grocery bills and then on to other items. I will add more to this list as we come up with solutions for other household expenses! We just haven’t grasped the whole picture yet... we are still in training.
  1. To use what is in the pantry FIRST! When making my meal plans I have committed to opening the cupboards and using at least 7 items in my recipes. Maybe that is one each day or a couple of cans. Using at least 7 means I may use more, but not less.
  2. I’ve chosen to breastfeed. As well as being committed to making all of Xan’s baby food from scratch.This cost savings will be our biggest budget saver yet. That being said, I am even more committed to clean eating. I will be starting this with all those yummy veggies from the farmer’s market and freezing from the very beginning everything I can to be prepared. I received a baby bullet from my brother this week to help with this effort. I’ve amassed about four cookbooks dedicated to healthy meals from newborn to toddler. My absolute favorite is Fresh Start by Tyler Florence. It is so simple! And the meals are for the whole family. The flavor combinations are incredible as well without being ridiculous. That means I don’t have to hunt down fruits and veggies that are impossible for me to acquire.
  3. Cooking in batches. Like cooking in bulk for Xan, cooking in quantity makes since for John and I too. I have made friends again with my crockpot. Which has always made appearances in the winter, has proven to be worth its weight in gold in summer. I can’t even think of turning on the stovetop or oven. It’s unbearable when I have. Using the crockpot overnight while it is cool is perfect! I make about 2 lbs a chicken or turkey every week. I’ve made pinto and garbanzo beans as well. With my diet, I eat the meat shredded or chunked up at two meals a day. It is easy to add to pasta, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, salads, etc. for John as well. The beans I’ve made into falafel, beans and rice, soup and as a side for the Mexican essentials tacos or enchiladas.
  4. Stick to your budget. Obvious... maybe. But, one thing I know about myself is that I am impulsive. I’m emotional about food. I crave things and love to get new ideas so creating a menu to stay with is difficult. It is a bit like going against my own nature. Seriously. So, while I may switch meals around from Monday to Thursday, I still make those meals. I just personally need that flexibility. But, I’ve stuck to my dollars. While I may have written that I want apples and my brand isn’t available - but peaches are on sale... I will modify. But, I will still only spend the $50 I set aside for the week.
  5. Know your prices ahead of time. Okay this will sound a little well... planned to the hilt. But you can’t deny I am prepared! Last week I took the Peaceful Mom’s advice of setting a specific day to shop. Going everyday or a few times a week can quickly amass a larger bill. This is true... So last week when I went to the store I spent a while longer going down each aisle putting prices into my notebook on my phone. I put the price down for every item John and I usually buy. Now I have a list of all of our favorite foods and their prices. Crazy. Maybe. But worth it! Now when I plan my meals I can see what my grocery bill will be before I go! Such a nerd... hopefully it will save me money!
  6. Set aside time to cook. Maybe it is during your child’s nap time. Maybe it is first thing in the morning like I do. Yes, my baby isn’t here yet. And no, I don’t know what I’m in for. However, I know that if you don’t set aside time to cook it won’t happen. You can quickly fall off the wagon. Just like an exercise routine or anything else that requires you to commit. I vow to be committed to cooking healthy meals for my family that will save us money. So, it just has to happen. This is my job. And I look forward to every moment of it.
  7. Spending trade-offs. What is more important? Organic food or a clothing budget? John and I see a lot of our spending decisions as trade offs. We see the savings of groceries and making Xan’s food as a chance to try out an eco friendly diapering system. Of course, I have to order everything online. We’ve decided to try a hybrid diaper system where you just throw out the big pad that sets in the middle rather than an entire diaper. You can also fill these with cloth refills... but I’m not sure even I am up to that! My concern is, sure no landfill, but what about the laundry bill? Water is expensive and at times has been on high alert conservation here. I’ve already been hanging clothes out on the line to save on electricity since we have the air conditioner and fans running 24hours a day. (See... trade offs!) As a side note, I should tell you though we have researched the price difference between the hybrid diaper system (like G diaper) to buying the Natural brands of Huggies or Pampers and they are the same price if you order the diaper inserts from Babies R Us online. Of course, after I’ve been using them for a few months I will do a budget update to be sure we are on track.
  8. Transportation cost cuts... probably not. The fact is now we now have two cars. Two car payments, a sizeable insurance payment, oil changes, maintenance and two gas payments. I guess the saving grace is they are both very new. Maintenance is planned for ahead of time and oil changes are as well. We don’t skip this on either car. That’s how you keep them in great condition. Our very practical car is a little 2011 Subaru Impreza hatchback that is amazing in the snow and gets decent gas mileage. We drive this car daily and to all out of town trips. The other a beautiful ‘toy’... A 2009 Challenger that my husband and I love so much. The car payment is high. Gas is expensive, oil changes are practically a grocery bill... But, here is the trade off... it’s an emotional one. John works as a police officer in a small, drug ridden, domestic violence heavy rural town. He works very hard at his job. The job is difficult, but it is a labor of love to him. We’ve discussed selling the car a few times. But here is the deal... I think it is nice to come home to a toy, that to us, makes wearing a bullet-proof vest and a gun to work everyday a little more... bearable. That might be the right word, even though it’s weak at best. I’m sure you get what I mean. Until it becomes an absolute necessity. This is the LAST thing I will get rid of. It just wouldn’t be fair right now... I know I’m emotional about it.

So, our journey to living on 28K for a year has begun. I hope to get a little freelance work that I can do from home, but not counting on it. If it happens, it happens. Just a few weeks left until D-Day... (delivery day!) so hopefully we will be all budget trained by then!

"Charlie" the Challenger. She's an SRT8 with 425 horses. Like many of the ranches here in SE Colorado.





1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm impressed by your savvy and perseverance. I can't even begin to empathize your plight but feel your onto to something brilliant!
    It matters in the the end what you do and the sacrifices you choose to make for your family's dreams to come to fruition.
    I'm proud of you and the outlook of your soon to be growing family. That is completely selfless,worthy and respectable!

    Amen to you, for you are blessed and loved :)

    P.S. Keep Charlie happy and she'll treat you right :)

    ReplyDelete