Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Simple & Convenient Kitchen

Don't we all wish we had a simple and convenient kitchen? They look like the ones in Better Homes and Gardens right? They have massive amounts of cupboards and pantry space. Everything is so organized! And I bet they own every appliance and gadget that you've drooled over at Williams & Sonoma as well. Sigh. If only my kitchen looked like that I'd BEG to stay home and cook. Isn't that what we think?

Okay, back to earth.

I have a theory that the cupboards, except the ones that have glass doors are empty. Or, if you can afford a kitchen like that surely you can afford a personal chef. I thought of becoming a chef last year to do just that. I wanted to be the vegan/ vegetarian version of Giada de Laurentis. Sigh. Not in my cards yet. I just saw those kitchens and thought... that is like an amusement park to me! I could have so much fun!



So then what is your kitchen like? What would you change if you could? (money NOT an issue) Would it be the layout? Or maybe just what you work with?

I want you to really think about what do you REALLY need to be a happy cook in your kitchen? 

I have a theory that if you have dull knives, unsatisfactory spatulas and you hate your cookware... You don't like cooking. Maybe? Do you think I'm on to something? I am going to share a few of my favorite time saving modern marvels. That I love and have made me a happy cook. I grew up with dull knives, odd cutting surfaces, horrible cookware from lord knows where and my grandparents were infactuated with the microwave. Everything, including cakes were put in the microwave. Ugh. No wonder I was a vegetarian for many, many, many years!

I believe to be a happy cook you really do need to love what you're cooking with. If you find any inconvenience in using your appliances or tools... it will not be a simple task and therefore you won't enjoy it. Why do you think there are so many abandon waffle makers, bundt pans, griddles, toaster ovens and bread machines at Goodwill? Someone did not find that appliance to their liking or lifestyle. However, you might! And walk out with a good deal too.

So, let's go over the basics first... My only rule for any kitchen tool or appliance is that you LOVE it. It doesn't really matter what you choose to spend on the item. But you must LOVE it. Love the color, the material the design, the way it feels in your hand. Imagine yourself using this object to create something awesome! Maybe you found it at Goodwill or a thrift store or even at Williams & Sonoma. Doesn't matter. Feel each tool as an extension of yourself and let it give you confidence to go into the kitchen and be a great cook! That alone will make the job satisfying and fun!

When I was an architect, it was my pen. My sketching tool. All architects are obsessed with pencils and pens. We have invested a small fortune in finding the one that connects with our hand and our mind. No, I'm not kidding. I have hundreds of dollars in pens and pencils. And when you find the right one. The one that is connecting with you for that special handmade journal that you just purchased in Rome, and your sketching like you own the city... well, you can't replace that feeling with anything. So you go and buy at least 10 more. You never know. You might not find it again!

Ah, reminiscing is nice... But today, I'm going to use my kitchen as the example so you can visualize what I mean here. Sorry for the goofy photography. But the overhead lighting is so bad that I couldn't get a good down shot :( Again... someday I will have sexy blog photos... but my friend Milly isn't here yet :)

My Simple Tools  

Basic "drawer" tools
1. Measuring cups
 I love my cheap old aluminum measuring cups. I think I got mine at goodwill. But I love them! They are squared off and have never let me down even when I'm making recipes up.

2. Measuring spoons
Old cheap aluminum again... Sometimes I flirt with the measuring spoons at Sur la Table. They are expensive and heavy and look like little squares. I love squares. But then I come home and hold my my old spoons and feel safe again.

3. Biscuit Cutters
Get a nice heavy set that has different sizes. You will be using these to cut pie tops, biscuits, cookies, scones, eggs for sandwiches... heck I think I even used them to cut and shape sliders once! If you really want to be clever you could make little cakes too. These were around $12 or $14 but a good investment.

4. Scissors
Whether they are for opening a package or for cutting green onions, a pair of kitchen shears are a huge time saving device. Get a pair you love. I use my old stand by Michael Graves office scissors. They are ready to be replaced with something nicer... but I get attached.

5. Glass storage containers (Several sizes)
These are an investment. They go on sale a lot. I love pre-mixing in them, cracking eggs into them. They are awesome for storing my chopped up whatever I needed for my recipe. They make me feel like I'm prepping something awesome for the Food Network. Ziplock containers just don't give me that spark. I need a spark with my food containers. Glass does that for me. I also save glass jars for this reason. I'm obsessed with glass jars. I have a lot of them. But I can't throw them away. Neither can my friends Allison and Milly. So I feel happy to have company in that part of crazy town.

6. Different whisk sizes
These again are $2 or $3 whisks that I picked up at Target or something. But they are great! Again, these are the tools I bonded with and that looked like I would get along with. I didn't buy it because it was cheap. I would have splurged if necessary... but for this it wasn't. I do however, want a whisk that is coated with silicone. Especially for melting chocolates on the stove and caramel. I know I wouldn't regret that purchase!

7. A Long metal cake tester
Not a piece of spaghetti... or a toothpick. Spaghetti is fragile in dense cakes... toothpicks are too short and tear up your cake coming out. Especially if you make poundcakes or bundt cakes. Just do it. You'll use it! They cost a $1. Keep it somewhere safe.

8. Dough scraper
Easiest clean up for making bread ever! Happily divides your dough and keeps coming back for more. I need to invest in two more. Again it is a tool that I'm washing and re-washing all the time when I'm cutting things up and prepping.

9. Small frosting knife
Because you need a tool that can do the job. Frosting with a butter knife is frustrating. Even if you aren't trying to be Martha Stewart, this little knife holds a lot of frosting and gives you whatever finish you want. I like a little mess on top of my cupcake, then I smooth off the top. This gets it done in one move! I'm not ready for piping and frosting bags... I know this.

10. Rubber spatula and brush (silicone)
I will wash and re-wash these two tools about 20 times when I'm cooking. I use them ALL the time. I think I spent about $10 on each of these. But they are bright red and I LOVE them. I am always pulling them out of the drawer as soon as I start thinking of my recipe.

11. Cutting Board
I bought my solid walnut cutting board on the south side of Pittsburgh on the strip. I paid more than $20 for it. I wanted something to remember Pittsburgh by always. And that is because my favorite bread I've ever eaten - Mediterra Bread is in Pittsburgh. Of course with bread this good you need a beautiful cutting board to slice it on. I've even written them... they told me they would ship me bread! I haven't done it yet... Hmmmm.... might do that this week.

12. Mesh strainer for sifting and berries
Find one with the little hooks on the side like mine. So that it sits over the bowl for sifting. I contemplated one of these for a while... then just did it. No turning back. I use it all the time for different tasks.

13. Scoops - a large one (1/3 of a cup or so) a small one 1 Tablespoon
Also used for ice cream, but these have the release on them. I found just the right sizes for a cupcake pan, scooping dough into the liners have never been more lovely. And the right size for small muffins or brownies. This size also is amazing for dropping cookies. Especially when you're mass producing any of these items. Total lifesavers! I probably paid $10 or more for each one that I have. I now have 3 sizes.



The Givens and Must Haves

1. Sharp knives
Your life is and will be miserable without them. The first time I bought my own knives and realized that you don't have to saw through vegetables... well, I almost cried.

2. Heavy bottomed stainless steel pans
Enough said. Don't buy non-stick. It's dangerous for your health and gives you the false sense of "i can cook at too high of a temperature"... which makes you burn things... burn the coating and give off chemicals into your food. Yuk. Don't do it. My friend Vaneshrie told me when she was teaching me to make curry, the best food is prepared slowly. Give it time and you'll never regret the outcome. Rush it and it will always taste rushed. While that is lovely and I will admit... I rush sometimes. You can't deny it is true. So keep it in mind and it might actually happen a few times! The feeling is amazing!

3. Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer
Yes, a big investment. You can, once in a while find one of these at a garage sale... I got mine as a gift. But seriously. I use this appliance sometimes once a day. Other times I'm washing it three times a day if it is my baking day. It has graced my counter for 7 + years and it is missing one of the little plastic covers on the side where you select the speed... Worn in with love. And running like it's brand new. I make massive amounts of christmas cookies, breads and gifts with this miracle tool. I use it to shred chicken, mix every kind of dough, whipped cream, mashed potatoes, berries... I could go on and on.

4. Food Processor
Don't scrimp on this one. Buy a good brand. Make sure it has a good seal. You will never regret it. Especially if you love to make pie crust, but hate the process. It's done in a flash in this baby and you'll be baking pies more than you ever thought before! I have lots of pie dough in the freezer because of my food processor. Soups become more sophisticated, veggies and baby food! Yum.

5. Dutch Oven or 5 qt Cast Iron Casserole Dish
I've had mine for at least 10 years. I make all my sauces, curries, chickens, cassoulet, stews and yummy jams in this dish. If the oven is on, chances are it has been on the stove and is now in it. Before I discovered the crockpot is for summer routine, I always made my chicken in this pot. But living in the desert... I can't turn on the stove after 6am. So, it is now my winter baking dish. I got mine at TJ Maxx for a steal! I have the 3 qt and the grill pan. Buy one piece a year if you can. They have them all the time. My dream cookware is below... Sigh. Mine is mismatched set of course. But I don't care.
Wish List For You

1. Glass Storage Jars
Will these make you a better cook? Maybe not. Will they make you look like you are a better cook? Oh NO doubt! For dry beans, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, cocoa, flours and sugars. They look so pretty in your cupboards or in your pantry. They take boring pinto beans out of their bag and make them look like appetizing, delicious delicacies. All of a sudden a dull brown sugar bag is transformed into a chefs dream of caramel or something! I'm waxing on here but I love my glass jars. I bought two each week until had empty jars waiting for me to fill them. They run between $3 and $7.

2. Le Cruset
A full set please. In red. Sigh... someday... even for me. They will be the cookware your great, great grandchildren inherit from you.

3. A Big Crockpot
It isn't necessary. But it sure is handy! I've been using mine all summer. I paid $20 for it and haven't regretted having to make the space or spending the money.




No comments:

Post a Comment