Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sharing Traditions... Happy 4th of July!

The Kik's Village House

If only I could be home in Richland, Michigan right now sitting on the porch with my family and friends. I am there with my spirit and my heart. I have started some small contractions and yet, they are the false kind. Still, traveling this past week was out of the question when you're 9 months pregnant. Sigh... I just miss EVERYONE!!

I love the 4th of July. I mean I LOVE the 4th of July. Sure, I'm as patriotic as they come and love that we fought for our freedoms and independence. The holiday resonates well with an independent spirit! But most of all I love the memories that I've had since I was really little! And there have only been a few 4th's that I've missed on that porch. One in 2001, I was in Vienna, Austria. And in 2007 I was living in Winchester, England doing a summer internship. In 2008, I had just moved to Denver and had spent my vacation time back home at the end of June to see my nephew Nolan born. In 2011, John and I had just moved to Las Animas. My friend Karen was married on the 17th of July also in 2011, so we came late in the month to be with her and DJ. And now 2012... oh the sadness of two years in a row!! But so much happiness too... with our son on the way. Hmmm... I keep hoping it would be today... but alas... nothing yet.


Our view on Gull Lake
For as far back as I can remember we always went to my great-grandparent's house on Gull Lake and swam ourselves wrinkled and sunburned. Went on boat rides around the lake to chat with friends still on their docks. Fishing, turtle catching and trying not to sink the only boat my brother Richard and I were allowed to take out alone... a wooden row boat called the Titanic. Rescued 3 or 4 times a year from the bottom of the lake.

The 4th was awesome because of all the people that came to visit us. My family knew everyone! Everyone knew my family. We always watch the parade from the porch of The Kik's house on East D Avenue in town. Then back to the lake for more food, friends and making elaborate contraptions to shoot water balloons, little rockets and the annual M-80 let down. Oh... and the canon of course. Yes, I said canon. Again, everyone stops by and everyone sits on our huge lawn. Fantastic memories were made in the lake, on the boats, in the kitchen and all over Highland Park. Eating my grandmother Betty's pink lemonade pie, the Lion's Club bbq chicken and the Community Church pies. AH! incredible memories!

My grandparents Betty & "Doc" Kik
A view to the parade and corner store
When we were really little they had a lot more going on. It was quite the event. A kind of cross between a 4th of July party and a fair. My parents walking us over to the carnival they would have at the high school across the street was like a fair. Riding miniature ponies that were on a kind of carousel and getting even more sweets. Petting goats and sheep that were celebrities in the parade. Looking at the fire trucks and anticipation for the fireworks to come. My sister and I would be in the parade in some years to come. Twirling batons and marching past the house. My grandfather and uncle were also regular fixtures in the parade. Sometimes driving the little vintage Mercedes that my grandmother just loved!

Later in the evening there would be a band at the football field. One year it was the Oak Ridge Boys! HA! And then fireworks. I thought they were the most spectacular ever... I can smell, hear, taste and feel every single memory. Even the memory of 2006 after my grandfather had passed away. It was my grandma Betty, Aunt Sherri, Uncle Mark and me on the porch. Dad had plans or something. Maybe he was in the parade that year. The rest of the family kind of caught up later in the evening. So many people were coming up and giving their regrets and sympathy. It was a real loss to the day. The same after my Uncle Mark passed. We sat on the porch with another empty chair in 2009. Sad and broken hearted as he was another important part of our celebration and our day. This year it is my grandmothers own chair that is empty. She passed in January.

I had to find a pic since I won't be seeing any. 

Knowing that the house in Richland is a family legacy since 1956, my grandparents left the house to me and my oldest brother. We actually asked them to. We couldn't let the house go. I couldn't imagine not being able to go there. When we sold the house on Gull Lake I was devastated. It went to family friends... we can go by anytime. But I've never been back. My great-grandmother passed in 2000. Eh. Call it what you will... But I just can't. I wasn't... I mean I'm not ready to let go. I know, I know... I shouldn't hold on to "things" like that. There is just so much more I guess.

Anyway, we have the Village house and I haven't even grazed the memories of the 4th, but I'm sure you can feel my full emotion. We haven't even begun with the birthdays, Christmas, Easter, valentine's day, regular Sunday dinners... Oh, the Sunday dinners. I might miss them the most... I'm torn now. I had Sunday dinner with my grandparents so often it was just... expected. I want that tradition with my kids. I love, love, love the traditions that bring the family together around the table. I'm so sappy that way.

I hope you all have awesome memories this year. Please feel free to share. I think that is one of the awesome parts of blogging... when you are able to share stories too. Love your family, they aren't here for long. Keep hold of traditions or start some new ones with your family. They profoundly affect our experiences for our lifetime. You never know what your kids will hold on to. I certainly never thought I'd be so nostalgic. But here I am... missing it so much it hurts.



No comments:

Post a Comment