Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grocery Shopping & Meal Planning

I'm not going to kid you, the meal planning thing is hard. I've looked up other meal plans and that alone can keep you occupied for hours! I know I'm being particular, but people eat a lot of CRAP!! I can't just download a bunch of other menus... they aren't very good. If they aren't loaded with junk, they are trying to impress me with their Martha Stewart like recipes. Ugh. I couldn't find half of the ingredients where I live. And again... In a few weeks I am not going to have hours to do this. I don't expect I will have ANY time to do this.

I need to get this streamlined a little quicker. I've downloaded a pretty nice grocery shopping app called "Grocery IQ". I like that it has brand named items and gives you coupons too. It also allows you to scan everything into your cart so you know how much you're spending. My dedicated shopping day is Sunday so tomorrow we will see how this works out! I think this week, I will use a little of my "free" time and I will try to come up with two more weeks of menus (with all our staples) and I'm done. We will be a little boring for a bit... but it will be yummy!!


This weeks menu is honestly what we eat all the time and padded with some lunches that I LOVE. I became addicted to the hummus, green apple & carrot sandwich when I was living in England. You can buy it at Boots! I would eat it for breakfast every morning with my coffee. I can't wait to eat them again! I've added chicken for John, but it is easily left out and you've got lots of protein from the hummus. I realized I forgot to put a (p) by the hummus. Oh well.

Anyway, John would eat the same thing everyday if I put it in front of him. He never has much time to eat when he's working nights. So I try to keep things simple. Sometimes he gets to warm it up... sometimes he doesn't. I'm also using a lot of pantry items this week to keep our bill down. Last week, we ate out 3 times... Yeah, I know. We're still following the wagon. But totally fell off. We ate cheap (Chipotle) but it still adds up. Twenty bucks a trip = ($65) So I'm trying to balance that out with cupboard creativity. We need to drive to Pueblo every week, sometimes two times a week for my doctor appointments right now. The convenience of eating out was the clincher. But, I am trying to balance!! Since all I can eat is blah. The chicken tacos with avocado is an easy option. Sigh. Gall bladder surgery will be a relief. But first, I need my son to be here with me.

I've spread out my prep work each day too. The whole chicken and pork tenderloin items are crockpot bound of course! And the chicken broth will come from the whole chicken. That way my risotto on Friday will be all set up. I'm still trying to figure out how to write my recipe index. Blogs are quite interesting when you know nothing about html. I find myself pouring over all kinds of stuff I didn't think I needed to know. Sigh. It's still been fun and interesting. I am an organizer at heart. I need to be usefully giving and storing this information not only for you... but for me too!

After I use the pantry items I've marked with (p) my grocery list is below. The coupons came up with the grocery app I'm using. That was pretty cool! I emailed them to myself and printed them out.

Sunday Grocery List = approx $45.00 if I get the chicken.

skim (2.96)
almond milk (3.18) - $1 coupon
ground turkey - 2lbs (3.98)
margarine (.94)
freezer bags (gallon & pint) (2.39) (2.98) - $1 coupon
turkey deli (4.98) - $1 coupon
roast beef deli (4.98) -$1 coupon
dill pickles (2.89)
green apples (1.97 lb)
shredded carrots (1.97)
brown rice (2.00)
** if organic chicken or whole chickens are marked down I will restock my freezer with at least one chicken and 4 lbs of chicken breast. I can get them for about $4.50 each!!

As a side note... hung all the laundry out on the line today. It was 85 degrees at 830am... So everything was completely dry by 10am. Yup, towels too. And smells SO good!! No wind so thank goodness... otherwise the line becomes a dirt magnet. Yuk. Air conditioner is running non-stop as we have the next 6 days... 109,109,108,108,106, and 102. Saving on the dryer bill, we definitely have sun! 


No comments:

Post a Comment