Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Series of Beginnings and Endings

When least expected, the unexpected happens. Yes, I know, duh. And yet such an exciting part of life. That is, when the change that has occurred happens to be one you've hoped for, prayed for, longed for. When I met John I had no idea that within in the span of four weeks we would be married. It was a whirlwind romance found in books long, long ago. Our life began with what truly amounted to a three month honeymoon while I worked from home and he started school again. We loved spending time together at the zoo, walking around our Capitol Hill neighborhood and just enjoying the feeling of finding your true love. Yes, birds and hearts would actually circle our heads. They still do.

In four months we would move from Denver to Las Animas, Colorado; a very small rural town in the southeast prairie. It would take us 208 miles from our friends, neighborhood and life as I’d known it. I would transform myself from an architect to become a school teacher to 7th graders. In another three months we would leave our beloved first home behind and move temporarily to our second house in Las Animas. John would graduate from the police academy and secure a job in another town up the road. Because of the new job we would have to move in three months to said town up the road and find another house.

We would also find out that we were pregnant.

We celebrated our first wedding anniversary April 23, 2012 in our new home in La Junta. I was 6 months pregnant. John had been at his job for four months. He absolutely loves it. I’ve never seen anyone happier to go to work every day when the alarm goes off. I on the other hand was having a very hard time adjusting to being a teacher. I know now that I resented it. I wanted the life of an architect that I had known for twelve years. I hated that kids didn’t want to learn. But I kept at it and by the second semester I was doing a lot better. I’d crafted lessons that were about life and leadership. I found a little ground to stand on to get me through the year.

School is out now and I’m “inbetween” jobs. I’m waiting for my new lifelong career as a mother to begin. We’re due on July 20, 2012. So I don’t have too far to go. In the meantime I seem to be drifting. I’m honestly a bit lost. There are no possible job prospects here that can apply my education and experience. That makes me sad... frustrated... sometimes I cry about it. I loved my work. But my husband has for the first time the only job he has ever loved. And it makes me smile and truly does make me happy to see him go to work everyday and come home with a sense of pride.

I’ve reimagined this blog because I know that I can work things out when I talk about them. Only thing is... I don’t have any friends here I can talk to. I spend my days alone. We have a dog. Her name is Irma. She doesn’t mind me ranting at her sometimes. But at the end of the day, I don’t know what to do next. I’ve been working on my domestic goddess status. It is a bit frayed. While I love cooking, sewing, crafting and solving organizational problems around the home, we are a one income family. My ideas are lofty. I’m working on half a shoestring most of the time.

So here is my new blog about life on the prairie with my forever valentine John. My new baby boy is on the way. I’m sure things are going to change a lot. I’m so glad for that. Like I said in the beginning of this post: When least expected, the unexpected happens. And yet such an exciting part of life. That is when the change that has occurred is one that you had hoped for, prayed for, longed for.

5 comments:

  1. Dear love, what a great idea! I should do this too. Been meaning to, but I also meant to join the procrastinator’s club and never got around to it. Please tell me what you need or want the most that I can in any way provide.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! I hope that we get to see you and John very soon. I know that this little baby will be blessed to also have you both in his life. xo

      Delete
  2. You are such a talented writer, and your honesty makes you feel so approachable to your readers. I can relate about the whole education/career thing; it's an uneasy feeling. But one thing you'll soon learn... your life takes on a whole new meaning when you meet that little guy for the first time! Suddenly, you know what life is all about. For me, I found my purpose. It's the most beautiful, miraculous experience and once that makes me ever grateful to have been born a woman.

    Looking forward to following your new mommy (and new life) experiences here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bianca, I appreciate your encouragement so much! I'm so excited to become a mother... I can imagine your experience will hit home very soon. xo

      Delete
  3. love love love! I had no idea your love story was so sudden, but beautiful nonetheless (I still think the mountaintop wedding sounds amazing). Meeting Peter changed all my plans too, and although we're in an urban area, I barely know anyone here, we are still struggling to find meaningful work, prep for baby, and stretch out our shoestring... so I totally understand you. But you'll have years to build your lives together, so the adventure is part of the fun, right? I'm excited to see where you go in the future and share momma experiences :) My thoughts are with you! xox

    ReplyDelete