Sunday, February 24, 2013

Love & Kindness

It's still February for a couple of days and I've still got the love bug dancing around in my heart...

I feel the need to pal up with my inner Cupid and talk about love and kindness. Not just the love between two people, but loving ourselves for who we are, loving what we do each day, loving our life and how we live it, loving what is around us, because we are part of it... Love and kindness should be our goal each day. Mother Teresa said it most eloquently:


"Let no one ever come to you 
without leaving better and happier. 
Be the living expression of God's kindness: 
kindness in your face, 
kindness in your eyes, 
kindness in your smile.”

Earlier last year, I was ready to begin yoga teacher training. Unfortunately, the closest place is Colorado Springs... 2.5 hours drive. And it is an 8 week course. I would need a sitter which is not possible at this moment. I will keep working on my yoga until I can become an instructor. Possibly when we get back home to Michigan someday... I mention this because I believe that my past yoga practice, and those teachers, has been an inspiration to meditate on positive energy and sending love and compassion into the world. I love going to yoga class and feeling not only as if I have a great physical workout, but a spiritual top-off.



The spiritual top-off I speak of is the selfish love for yourself which is self less... not arrogant or ego driven. You need that in order to give love and compassion back to others. It's the part of taking care of yourself that helps you take care of others. I would LOVE to give that to other people. I would love to teach them yoga and give them compassion, that they can pass to others. That sounds like an incredible journey that can last a lifetime. Unfortunately, like I mentioned before, we do not have any yoga here (except in my living room). I would need to travel 60+ miles either west or east to go to class. sigh. It is nice to exchange all that yummy powerful good energy with others, but for now, my family can soak it up! Grab your yoga mat and calm your soul. Think about what you love and where you will send your love.

To get yourself started, I also believe that inspiration plays a huge part of recharging your own batteries. Inspiration is part of loving your work, and loving your home. Which of course adds to loving where you are... who your with and who you encounter along the way. Being inspired by crafts, art, design, fashion, office supplies... what ever it is in your life so that you can feel happy and have that happiness reflected around you.

Many yogis have alters in several rooms of their homes that give them subtle reminders of their spiritual practice as well as their physical journey. Even if you aren't a yogi, I think about my book shelves, walls and even my bedroom dresser and desk as little 'alters'. They are places I look at and go to throughout the day or week to get my day in order, as well as a smile for myself or someone in my life.

My whole single life, I have placed things that inspire me in all of these nooks. I have Eiffel Tower ornaments and statues in every room... these remind me of my love of Paris. The moments I've spent there walking around the streets and visiting museums. Since I was in the third grade I knew I would love Paris. I got there when I was 26. I do love Paris. I cried when I got off the train and stepped into the station at Gare de l'est... True love lasts a lifetime. I've visited Paris five times now. I will visit more. Because I love the city of love. I also have ballet slippers... hearts... quotes... doves... and little eastern Indian symbols around my desk of peace and love. And if you reach for the spices in my cupboards you might find a goldfish or a teeny tiny dinosaur staring at you. They always make me smile.

My husband also has a board in our room that is his 'alter'. It contains patches from other police departments, quotes, my phone number when we first met (giggle), a target that he's shot, a few cards from me, and some pins he's collected. I believe reminding yourself of what you love, and why you do what you do... is important to your life. It is important to feel grateful for what you already have. I think it is integral in achieving goals you've set for the future. I read a quote I think that pertains to this greatly... It goes something like:
What you do today
is important,
Because you are exchanging
a day of your life for it. 

True story!! Everything you do is important. Even when the day knocks you down, it's just another opportunity to keep your chin up and help someone else along the way. There will the day when you are at the end of that helping hand, and a day when your helping hand is necessary.

"The desire to reach for the stars
is ambitious.
The desire to reach hearts,
is wise."
-maya angelou



No comments:

Post a Comment