Friday, March 15, 2013

Eat: Burrito Bowls {vegetarian}

I gave up meat for lent so that I could get back to my roots so to speak. I needed a good cleanse for my body and my soul. Whether you believe in animal rights or not... everything is better in moderation. If you're like my husband you might eat some kind of animal product at EVERY meal and sometimes even for snacks. Yikes is all I say to that. I'm also pretty lactose intolerant... so being vegan as far as dairy goes isn't an issue. I don't crave cheese, always hated milk even when I was a kid and I don't care about ice cream at all... again, I don't care for many milky tasting things. The pain I go through is enough of a punishment to never go there. The only thing on the vegan no-no list I do love is a good omelet... So, I am what you'd call an ovo vegetarian for now. If I ever found a good egg replacement I'd be a full fledged vegan without even trying!

Since my husband and I have a slightly different diet, dinners can be tiresome to prepare for me. With out making a big deal out of cooking each night I usually make myself what ever he's craving and skip the animals. But, through the past two years, I've come up with a great vegetarian dish that my husband adores! I will put chicken in this for him, but mainly he will eat it sans meat. The black & pinto beans provide loads of fiber and protein to keep you full and it is so yummy!

I will also give you two versions of this recipe. The first is from scratch... if you have the time, making your own beans is SO much better and it gives you plenty to stash in the freezer. Canned are good too, and great when you don't want to plan ahead! For the second recipe "I don't want to cook tonight" version can be done at the drop of a hat. I've done it many times. I also threw in my homemade tortilla recipe if you have the energy.

Scratch recipe or not, this is a very good for you recipe and has become a staple in our house!! This recipe makes enough for 2 adults. If you are making the beans you probably will have enough for oh let's say... 6 to 8 adults just be sure to adjust all the other vegetables to chop and rice to make too!

Burrito Bowl {scratch baby}

Beans
1 lb. pinto beans {you need about 1/2 cup for the recipe, prepare them all and freeze the rest!}
prepare the beans like it directs on the package - soaking and draining, boiling etc.

1 lb. black beans {you need about 1/2 cup for the recipe, again prepare and freeze 'em!}

1 T vegetable/ canola oil

2 T of Goya Sofrito* sauce {or to your own taste}

Veggie Mixture
2 T vegetable/ canola oil

1/2 c onion, diced

2 cloves of garlic, chopped - set them aside in a small bowl with a couple teaspoons of water

1/2 of a large red pepper, diced

2 T of Goya Sofrito* sauce {or to your own taste}

1 c of brown rice {prepared from package directions}

1 c of vegetarian meat crumbles (if you desire)

1/2 c shredded lettuce

1/2 an avocado, sliced 

1/2 c chopped tomato

3/4 c of vegan shredded cheese

few sprigs of fresh cilantro

your favorite chips & salsa

{forgive me for not adding things like sour cream... I don't eat much dairy so even 'fake' dairy doesn't appeal to me... top it off if you so desire!!}

1. Get your veggies chopped up and a large skillet warm.

2. Add the veg. oil & onions. Cook until clear, add red peppers, garlic and the water it was soaking in. Cook until the peppers are just about to get soft.

3. Add the frozen veggie crumbles (if you're going to use them) If not, prepare your veggies (you could always add other peppers... some corn, a boring zucchini in the fridge perhaps?) with 2T of the Sofrito sauce, if you've never used this sauce it is a billion times better than any powdered taco or burrito spice you could ever use.

4. While your veggie mixture is cooking & warming, get out your prepared beans and measure them into a medium sized sauce pan. Add 1 T of oil and slowly bring the beans up to med heat. You don't want to burn them, just warm them. Add 2 T of the Sofrito sauce.

Put it together!

2 bowls - layer first with 1/2 c of rice, 1/2 c beans, 1/2 c veggie mixture, 1/4 c shredded lettuce, avocado slices, chopped tomato, and cheese... sprinkle with fresh cilantro.

My husband and I love to eat this with chips and salsa, occasionally I get bold and make some fresh tortillas!

My tortilla recipe... {yum}

4 c unbleached/ unbrominated flour (this is ridiculously important... look up bleaching in flour if you aren't familiar!!)

1 t baking soda

1 t kosher salt

3/4 vegetable oil or margarine melted

1-1/2 c warm water

Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add vegetable oil and mix with your hands until the mixture gets crumbly. Add water in your mixer with a hook if you'd like. Or mix by hand. Roll into ping-pong ball sized pieces and let them rest on your counter covered with a dish towel for a half hour to an hour. Roll out each one and cook like a pancake on a very hot griddle. I dare you not to eat the first one... No really, just eat it!! Nothing better than a warm fresh tortilla!!


Burrito Bowl {i don't feel like cooking}
I always keep some frozen veggies on hand, rice that is already prepared, and then you will be able to relax a few days out of the week. 
 
Beans
1 can of pinto beans or 1 can of black beans

2 T of Goya Sofrito* sauce {or to your own taste}

Veggie Mixture
2 T vegetable/ canola oil

1/2 c onion, diced {you can get them cut up for you in the frozen section!}

2 cloves of garlic, chopped - {yup, the kind in the jar}

1/2 of a large red pepper, diced {use the frozen ones!}

2 T of Goya Sofrito* sauce {or to your own taste}

1 c of brown rice {Uncle Ben's has a bag already prepared! Pop in microwave for 90 seconds!}

1 c of vegetarian meat crumbles {if you desire, pop these in the microwave and when they are thawed add the sofrito sauce}

1/2 c shredded lettuce

1/2 an avocado, sliced 

1/2 c salsa

3/4 c of vegan shredded cheese

few sprigs of fresh cilantro

your favorite chips

Pretty much follow the directions above! You just didn't have to prep any beans, rice or chop any veggies. Whew... enjoy your dinner/ lunch or hell... it could be breakfast!

Promise I will start working on some pretty food pictures soon!! I have a great photographer friend that lives back home and I will have her over often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment