Sunday, March 17, 2013

Eat: St. Patty's Brownies

Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Maybe you've been up since 5am making some kind of kegs and eggs celebration for a local parade... Or you're a die hard Irish fan so you're thinking Rudy and maybe you'll break out the only green shirt you own because it has an ND leprechaun on it. Okay, now that I'm looking, I have 2. Either way, I am certainly the latter!
I was happily attending Notre Dame during Brady Quinn's stint as a quarterback...
We have fond memories of each other in the South Dining Hall.

No Guinness for me this year as I've recently found out that it is NOT vegetarian. Neither is Foster's, Red Stripe or Newcastle. They all contain fish guts. Using 'isinglass' which is made from fish bladders. Hmmm... yuck. And all of my dearest friends know what a huge disappointment this will be to me. I used to love Guinness. Now, I feel a little sick.

On to better things... Like brownies slathered in a mint buttercream. Oh yeah baby!!

These are incredible brownies and not one single time have I brought or sold these and not had a dozen more orders. I think they are pretty special too. I used them to woo my husband. He has a HUGE sweet tooth. I had him over for dinner and I made this incredible polenta dish and then brownies for dessert. We were engaged the next week. I'm not sayin' it was the brownies... But I'm not sayin' it wasn't a factor!!

Brownies {you could make these GF}

Get out a medium sized, heavy bottomed sauce pan. Yup, you read that right. NO BOWL. SAUCE PAN.
Oil and parchment line the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Preheat oven to 350.

Add to sauce pan over medium/ low heat... Go slow... no burning.

1 stick of butter. {I haven't had too much luck with margarine... sorry vegans :(...}
...when melted...
Add 2 T of canola or veggie oil.
...stir in...
Add 1/4 c dark chocolate chips
...melt in...
Add 1/2 c sugar {i've used all kinds to experiment - raw, truvia, etc... raw works best, you can half it with truvia if you'd like.}
...melt in...
Add 1/2 c cocoa powder {i swear by Penzey's. Use amazing cocoa and you will have amazing brownies. That's a huge benefit! You can order it online. DO NOT get dutch process}
...stir in...
Take off the heat. Turn off stove top.

A slow constant stir makes sure everything is getting together and lovely!

Add 2 whole eggs - for high altitude add another yolk. {I've tried flaxmeal... mixed results. sorry again vegans :(...}
...stir in slowly and completely...
Add 2 t of VERY good vanilla. {Not the cheap stuff}
...stir in...
Add 1/4 c of unbleached/ unbrominated flour
...stir in...

Using a rubber spatula get your mixture into the 8x8 pan nice and even. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. You should start smelling those yummy brownies just about the time they are ready. Test your oven, of course if you know it runs hot, adjust accordingly.

High altitude folks, I lived in Denver and 350 for 25 to 30 min worked well for me! The extra yolk was KEY in the cakey factor!!

Cool those brownies and get ready for the minty buttercream!

I wish I could say I was an amazing frosting gal... but Baked out of Red Hook in Brooklyn has the best mint buttercream recipe on the planet. So I will be sharing their love with you!!

Minty Buttercream {ala Baked}

3/4 c sugar
2 T flour
3/4 c milk
2 T heavy cream
1- 1/2 sticks of butter softened but still cool, cut into small cubes
3 T creme de menthe
1 T peppermint extract

In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, whisk together the sugar and flour together. Add the milk and cream and cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally until mixture comes to a boil and has thickened, 5 to 7 min.

Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on high until cool. Reduce the speed to low and add the butter and mix until thoroughly combined. increase the speed to medium-high and beat until filling is light and fluffy.

Add the creme de menthe and peppermint and mix until combined. If the frosting is too soft, chill slightly in the refrigerator and then mix again until it is the proper consistency.

If the frosting is too firm, place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and re-mix to the proper consistency.

This makes enough for 2 batches of brownies :}

May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.
~Irish Blessing

photo from whitelotuscooks.com - YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment