Monday, March 18, 2013

Two Pots of Coffee Kind of Day & Comfort Food

I will be the first to tell ya, I’m pretty addicted to coffee. I can honestly say I don’t think it matters decaf or caffeinated. I just love the warmness of it, the rich taste, and just black. Don’t mess it up with sugar, cream or anything. I do get the occasional cappuccino. More foam, less soy. {i don’t do cow’s milk}

My mother and brother’s are all big into coffee as well. My sis does the mocha frappuccino things. But the rest of us could drink, and mostly do drink coffee all day. When I got pregnant, I stopped drinking coffee... except in the morning. I would have 1/2 package of Via {Starbuck’s instant coffee} in a small tea mug. The rest of the day I would have water or juice. On REALLY tired days I might drink the other half of the package around 330 or 400. When I was teaching, the days seemed awfully long!
My little cup



When it is gray outside, it also seems to me like a two pot of coffee day. I have a small french press that is about 3 cups in an average sized mug. I've had this pot for ages and it is the best coffee ever with the least amount of hassle. I have a small espresso machine I get out once and while... if I had more counter space maybe I would use it more... who knows!

Classic Bodum
As for coffee... I'm probably not the connoisseur that some are. My brother Ken bought a bag of Gevalia when he was staying with us. VERY yummy... And I buy it when it's on sale. Thing is I used to drink strong, bend your spoon kind of coffee. Since I stopped drinking it for 9 months... I don't care for the bitterness anymore. I have found that I am more drawn to Colombian medium to light blends. The Starbucks blonde blend is too light... I ended up using 5 scoops to my usual 3 of Gevalia Colombian. That gets expensive. Right now, I am LOVING Seattle's Best Medium-Light & Lively {Level 2}... Haa Haa... sorry, but that cracks me up a little. Three scoops in my Bodum and I'm ready to tackle the day. Except today it seems I need another pot.

I've been tossing and turning in my sleep quite a bit this week. Perhaps it's planning the trip home... yes, I know it is. I've got a lot of energy working there. And some energy that is working against me. While most of my family is excited to have me come home... There is one person that has changed their tune. At first it was open arms and excitement... now, I don't hear anything. It's odd. I don't know that I did anything... or maybe it was something I didn't do? I'm not sure. I just know that I need to deal with it out in the open. I know there is someone working behind the scenes, like they usually do.

Since this is the case now, and I've obviously dealt with this kind of thing before, I'm losing sleep over things that have/haven't happened. It is a small case of my M.S.U {Making Stuff Up} PhD doing its work. You go over conversations that these people have had behind your back in your head and you craft your retorts... blah blah blah. Only none of it gets better. So you try to brush it off and let someone else take the wheel. Until something reminds you of them and then the voices start in again. Sigh. Grrrr... Arrrgh.

Well, we will see what this second pot of coffee can do and just get on with our day as best we can! I also have a fail safe breakfast with my coffee, made with coffee... My great-grandmother used to make this for me when I was a little kid. Yup. Coffee and all. She would also try to make it with milk... yuk. Not for me. But if you like steamed milk, maybe I would try almond milk... I don't know. Anyway... here it is. It is a comfort food for me. She always made it when I wasn't feeling well. Funny huh?

Coffee Toast {Great-Grandma Jackson's recipe}


2 slices of your favorite bread, toasted
1 cup of coffee {prepared to your liking}
butter & sugar for sprinkling

get a good deep bowl to place the toast in.

1. Prepare your bread... and toast it!

2. Spread a little butter or margarine and sprinkle with sugar... maybe cinnamon?
{my granny was very generous with sugar}



3. Place the slices, cut or torn up into the bowl. {I've added Truvia to mine}

4. Pour the whole cup of coffee over the toast... make sure you get everything wet
 {Let it soak in a little}


Enjoy!!

I've also enjoyed this with tea... I guess I like soggy bread. It may be the tiny bit of English that we have in our family? Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment