Monday, November 9, 2009

Shooting for the Stars

Saturday we (me and Prada) cruised two museums a length. The Museum of Contemporary Art and the Kirkland which blew me away! The MoCA was good. Better than I expected. The Kirkland was so amazing. It is in the house of a former University of Colorado art professor. He has many of his paintings displayed and he collected from the most amazing craftsman and artists of his time. The collection of chairs was right out of Vitra! When I laid eyes on the 'Marshmallow' sofa... I was in love. I didn't get to really check out the amazing pottery collection - Prada is a painter and could have cared less.

Yes. I love museums. Okay the date went down hill for me after we had an 'agree to disagree' discussion regarding art and getting a degree in art. Of course you can tell me that I am not the open minded one and he is... But here was the discussion.

He believes that art is a continuous line. That it shouldn't and doesn't repeat itself. (A million holes right??) Okay I let him go on. (context: we are sitting in front of a red splash painted canvas reminiscent of the scene in The Shining). Furthermore, you shouldn't study or dwell on things like Impressionism (which is the style I told him I loved) because it is over and it has reached it's peak of development so there isn't any value in revisiting it. In art school he believes you should be able to splash paint on canvas, burn it etc do whatever you need to do to a canvas to innovate and create.

Are you kidding me? My end of this discussion was like this.

I do not find value in splashing paint or burning canvas that hasn't come from somewhere deeper. If you want to splash paint I hope in your past you have been able to sketch like Da Vinci. I think that art education similar to my education in architecture should give you all of the tools of the masters of that craft. How can you begin to innovate if you don't even know where you are innovating from? I don't believe that art should be created in a vaccuum of intellect. I also said that if you want to paint like an impressionist for the rest of your life... more power to you. He believes this is a ridiculous waste of time. That art is not like fashion and does not move in a circular motion. You would think he had never been to a museum or studied art.

I don't know. I just know we aren't that into each other and we are better off friends.

I hope to have a date with a guy this week... He is 6'5"!! So I am shooting for the stars. He mentioned that one of the most private things he is willing to admit was that he put his chocolate in peanut butter. Seriously a dork... I love him already! I think he gets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment