Sunday, November 15, 2009

What does it take?

I had a date yesterday with a new guy. His name is Normal. He is a nice normal guy! I can tell you that I might have said this at one time or another about each guy that I have encountered thus far. But since I have written in the past tense I have been able to give them a nice look over under the bright lights and dissect their behavior and give them funny clever names. It's exhausting.

We met for lunch on Saturday and I had to blab and blab to get him to talk about himself. That was okay. I am sort of good at making people feel comfortable. We talked about all kinds of music, movies and even the ex's. His ex lives in the state of Colorado and has custody of their eleven yr old son. This is the first time I have dated someone with children. It's nice that he is older. I feel more comfortable, but not 100% at ease yet. But that is what getting to know someone is all about.

I had a nice time. It was really a good open and conversational afternoon. He is a happy guy, passionate about computers and likes his job. He is 6'5" which I can't help... I like a lot! But as we talked... Well, I am worried he is a bit of a shut in. Yes, he would probably entertain me for bit, going out and road trips. But eventually it goes. If you are a homebody that is what you are. That's okay... but that's not me. He also has lived in Colorado his whole life and he isn't much for travel. He also doesn't ski or snowboard. He does say he wants to learn. He also doesn't watch football... hence scheduling a date during the ND v. Pitt game. In my pursuit of a heart to share, I've sadly missed THREE games. *sigh*

Sparks was a Notre Dame alum. He knew I was going to be late for our first date. The game went into overtime! I am sad about it, but that is the kind of man I need right now. The kind that wants to plan tiips to New Zealand or Argentina, watches a good amount of football, loves the snow almost more than he will love me (because I will also be putting him in a nice close tie with snow), passionate, true, great smile, kind, thoughtful and hopefully crazy for Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But I will take one or the other. It's so difficult.

I am going to see Normal again to see what might be. I'm not that encouraged. I'm getting a little grumpy.. And I've emailed about 5 other potential dates just for practice. I don't even know if I am looking for a guy or something to write about these days. It's become more of a hobby now and less of an actual pursuit. I am not looking to get married. Am I? I am not looking for anything really attainable, am I? I guess that is how it feels after you have hit a few brick walls. While there are my girlfriends who are both interviewing for jobs and love...  hitting walls on all sides. My heart aches. I know I am lucky to be in Denver. I am so happy here with my job, good friends and my quality of life is ten-fold. I just know there is a missing place next to me on my sofa right now. Someone I would really like to share my happiness with. What does it take?

No comments:

Post a Comment